Tuesday 5 April 2011

Small but Beautiful

The Canterbury Art Show is over for another year and exhibited some fabulous contemporary Australian paintings....so many of which I wanted to add to my collection....




but I couldn't resist these two tiny works by Sheryl Lewis.
she is an artist whose work I've admired for so many years.
and now I own two!





Sheryl  Lewis
 'The Artist's Kitchen' 5 and 6
10x10cm
Canterbury Art Show 2011




I love the looseness, the barely 'there-ness', the scratchiness, almost scribbled look of these two tiny 10x10cm paintings.




in the past I've tried to put this nonchalence, this relaxed but energetic , calligraphic linework into my own paintings, but I always get bogged down by the detail and my desire for more 'completion.'




I struggle to get this 'casualness'.... this rawness....in fact I can say that I 'just...can't...do...it!'




it looks easy but for me it's not!




and Sheryl makes this look so effortless.




just love them!






Jo x














No comments:

Post a Comment