Sunday 18 December 2011

Artist Statement... 'The Child Within' Series



 



'painting the essence of childhood'



I want to capture the essence of the ‘Wonder –Years’ …. those energetic, optimistic, invincible,  fearless years......

the gangly, awkward, all arms-and-elbows years.

I want these paintings to be of today’s children, but to stir memories of our own childhood… that lovely limbo-land between innocence and awakening to the realities of the world…a snapshot of childhood caught between innocence and independence.

This Series is painted with one foot in the present, and one in the past!


I believe art should enrich our lives, enhance our wellbeing, our homes, and our visual awareness.

In the past few years my work has moved away from traditional realism, to a more personal, stylized interpretative art.

People often tell me that my paintings “make them feel good”. I think that is because I can only paint that which makes me feel good, that which gives me pleasure......to be painting is to be in my 'happy place' 
And I think it is this shared response to a happy memory that connects.

I want people to enjoy living with my art.

I believe art should be felt, as well as viewed!








.