Friday 16 December 2011

a new 'Series' begins....

.




work in progress
Jo-ann Hunt
The Child Within - Summer Series




These are the four 'Little Tackers' that started this 'Series' of paintings.

they almost painted themselves!

it was as if an unconscious force was guiding my hand as the paint leapt off the brush onto the canvas!

I think because I'd suspended the logical, over-thinking, analytical part of my brain, and was just painting 'for the heck of it', because I placed no expectation on myself that these paintings would 'work', or that they'd ever be seen by another soul outside my studio walls, I just relaxed and had fun with them.

they came out of my subconscious....no photos, no sketches, just four blank canvases and a wild woman slapping on paint!

I remember the day so clearly...

it was a wintery Sunday in late July, 2010,

all was quiet in the butcher shop below the studio, the weather was quite bleak but it was as if the sun was shining inside my little room,

and I could smell the scent of salt-water and the squark of seagulls was the only chatter in my head.

.....imagination is a wonderful thing.

.....and memories are priceless.

combined ..... this is the end result.



work in progress
Jo-Ann Hunt
the Starfish boy went through a few changes..... although in hindsight, I do like the hyacinth-blue flippers and star-fish and roughly painted sky.....too late!.....






I struggled with painting the starfish!

it either looked like a 'Northern Pacific Seastar' starfish....feral and a blight on our bay....not nice!






.... or a cow's udder! 

so I got rid of  it and this Little Tacker took on Seal Rescue!




Nature Boy
Jo-Ann Hunt
'The Child Within - Summer' Series
H122x41cm
H48x16ins
Acrylic on Canvas
2010
sold



little-miss-in-pink took 12 months to complete!

....got new togs....

and joined the nippers....


Time to Go
Jo-Ann Hunt
'The Child Within -Summer' Series
H122x41cm
H48x16ins
Acrylic on Canvas
2011
xxxx






works in progress
Jo-ann Hunt




Mr Grumpy, on the left, is still incomplete.

I don't want to complete him.

....he stands beside me in my studio to remind me to 'stay loose!'

....to remind me of the fast-flowing paint on that day...

he is my muse!



Between the Flags
detail
Jo-Ann Hunt
 the Little Nipper on the right, with his red and yellow cap.... not the four-panel cap of the SLSC...

 (see...no  sketches, no thinking, brain in neutral!)

he ended like this....




Between the Flags
Jo-Ann Hunt
'The Child Within -Summer' Series
H122x41cm
H48x16ins
Acrylic on Canvas
2010
sold






....it was a very productive day.

....and I had fun!

                                           Jo  x











.

No comments:

Post a Comment