Sunday 15 June 2014

....which paint?



...a lovely-jubbly stash of new paint ...



I've had a couple of emails recently asking which paint I use and what is my

studio set-up for storing my paint.

I use Professional Artist-quality Acrylic paints....usually Matisse Structure

and also some Atelier brand tubes. I buy the large tubs and buckets for my

'favourite' colours, although I can't resist a good 'sale' price!  ....see above!

I found most of my studio furniture in kerbside clearances, so it's

not terribly flash! (A computer desk was such a good find, that in exchange

I left a surprise gift of a framed drawing of mine of blue-and-white bowls

on the verandah!)

(the plastic bottles are just three  colours I don't like, but am too stingey to toss them out!... tomorrow! )

New tubes of paint and tubes 'not in use' are kept in biscuit tins on the top

of a chest of drawers...warm colours left, cool colours on the right.

The paint tubs I keep in the drawers, organised by colour family...

earth tones, blues-and-greens, reds-and-yellows, neutrals and lastly

background /gesso colours.



I put dabs of colour , sometimes mixed with a little white, on the lids

of these tubs because I'm always looking for the 'right' colour in a hurry

and because I want to make sure  the correct lid is returned to its

rightful owner.







...the colours I'm using
for a painting move onto
a metal-shelfed taboret.....



.....this is how it looks before I get started.....













......and this is how it looks once I get going......



....tubes are kept in containers on top....warm colours left....

...cool colours on the right.....I'm not terribly complicated!




 My water containers sit on top of my glass palette.

I have a smaller bucket inside a large icecream container....the theory being

I can wash first in the large container, then rinse again in the smaller

container.....but usually both get so dirty anyway that I'm regularly

emptying and refilling with clean water...

....a trip to the sink probably every 15 minutes or so!



I'm a pretty messy creature when I paint!

I wipe my hands and brushes on my clothes and apron, I use a lot of rags,

a lot of water and a lot of paint!

But I do clean up my water and brushes every night, so that I can

arrive the next day and jump right in without distractions or excuses.....

.....well that's the theory!

I hope you liked this brief peek at my set-up.....

...everyone is different but this is what works for me     :)


                                             Jo  

.

No comments:

Post a Comment